Started With Your Research:
Pathfinders, Directories and Megasites:
- A very comprehensive list of genealogy websites including tens of thousands of links
arranged alphabetically by category with a variety of indexes. Updated regularly. Includes
categories for all fifty states, Canadian provinces, foreign locales, various ethnic and
religious groups, personal homepages and special topics such as adoption and heraldry.
Contains a genealogy home page construction kit.
- Includes a comprehensive, well-organized directory with over 71,000 genealogy sites
organized by categories into a subject directory, an expanded subject directory, an index
of keywords and a key word search. The subject directory includes entries for reunions,
genealogy events, adoption, maps, ethnic groups (under People), places and times periods.
- A collection of valuable genealogical resources dedicated to supporting the ROOT-L
mailing list. Includes the most up-to-date version of the Roots Surname List, archive
files for the ROOTS-L mailing list, and more. Provides free Web server space to any
genealogical or historical society. Provides server space for genealogical home pages and
websites and currently hosts over 3,000 mailing lists.
- Organized by country and state. State websites include very important information such
as postings of unknown county queries, family reunion bulletin boards, state histories,
and maps showing changing county boundaries, an so on.
- A must-see for researching your emigrant ancestors.
Publications and Organizations:
- Weekly electronic genealogy column covering
topics such as organizing successful family reunions, identifying
family photographs, visiting state archives, keeping your information
organized and planning a genealogical vacation.
- Includes a homestudy course on doing genealogical
- Provides subscription information for "Root-L,"
the mailing list of the RootsWeb Web site. Includes
stories, contests and a weekly listing of new surname mailing lists.
Also regional, ethnic and special interest mailing lists.
Some Other Helpful Websites:
Sites for Specific Ethnic Groups:
(This is a selected list of sites for the purpose of illustrating the types and scope
of sites currently available on the Web. Use the Megasites listed in the second section of
this guide for more comprehensive coverage.)
African Americans (Christine's Genealogical Website)
- Includes primary and secondary sources, church records, research
- German Genealogy Home Page
- Contains sample letters for writing to churches in Europe in several languages and free
translation service as well as region research, German emigration to America, and
worldwide genealogy sites.
- Irish Genealogy on the Web
- Created by the Irish Genealogy Society and including church records, census
substitutes, cemetary lists, and Irish surname information.
- Jewish genealogical information and contacts including databases of meetings, families,
publications, and other Internet sites. Includes the International Jewish Cemetary Project
and a database of Jewish Civil War veterans plus the JewishGen Discussion Group and
JewishGen Family Finder database.
- The Puerto Rican/Hispanic Genealogical Society Inc.
- This site is for Puerto Ricans, Hispanics and other interested persons. It
provides a forum for sharing information as well as a collection of genealogical and
historical research information.
(Note: These websites were all functioning at the addresses given as of 5/25/00.)
- Vineland Public Library
- 1058 East Landis Avenue
- Vineland, NJ 08360